[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling.
CORPUSTY is a village and parish with a station on the Eastern and Midlands railway from Yarmouth to Lynn, 6 miles north-west from Aylsham station, 15 north-west from Norwich, in the Northern division of the county, South Erpingham hundred, Aylsham union and county court district, rural deanery of Ingworth and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The Church of St. Peter is a small flint building, consisting of chancel, nave, porch and a square tower containing 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1656. The living is a vicarage, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich, the Rev. James Harrison Watson M.A. of Pembroke College, Cambridge, residing at Saxthorpe, is the officiating minister. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here. Colonel W. E. G. Lytton-Bulmer, of Heydon Hall. who is lord of the manor, and General E. Ives. are the principal landowners, the latter being owner of the tithes. The soil is light and sandy; subsoil, sand and grave..The chief crops are wheat, barley. hay and roots. The area is 1,018 acres, 49 of which are common; rateable value, £1,663; the population in 1881 was 379.
Letters through Norwich. Reepham is the nearest money order & telegraph office. LETTER BOX at the Mill, ccleared at 1.50 p.m. weekdays only
A School Board of 7 members was formed in 1875 for the united district of Corpusty, Irmingland and Saxthorpe; Rev. James H. Watson, chairman; T. Hase, clerk to the Board & attendance officer; William A. Dixon, treasurer.
Board School, built in 1881 at a cost of £1,100, for 139 children; average attendance 130; Wiliam Charles Rickus, master; Mrs. Sarah Rickus, mistress
Railway Station, George Henry Pepper, station master
1891 Census index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Corpusty Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Corpusty postmill, black postmill, white postmill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Archeology of Corpusty & Saxthorpe [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More information on Corpusty [GENUKI-NFK]
Corpusty Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page