COSTON is a parish on the river Yare, 1 mile north-east from Hardingham station and 5 miles west from Wymondham in the Southern division of the county, Forehoe hundred and union, county court district of Wymondham, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Michael is in the Early English style, having chancel and nave, with a square tower, and was repaired and re-seated in 1850. The register dates from 1694. The living is a rectory, with the living of Runhall annexed, joint yearly value £158, with 8 acres of glebe and rectory house at Coston, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and the Earl of Kimberley alternately and held since 1855 by the Rev. Robert Browne Slipper M.A. of Caius College, Cambridge. The Rectory house was built in 1850 at a cost of £600 on a site where formerly stood the residence of the Catholic Archdeacons of Norfolk. The Earl of Kimberley is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and hay: The area is 342 acres; rateable value, £542; the population in 1881 was 48.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Runhall Archeology (including Coston) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Coston [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page