CRANWICH is a parish situated in a valley on the south side of the river Wissey, 6 miles north from Brandon station and 3 east from Methwold, in the Western division of the county, Grimshoe hundred, Thetford union and county court district, Cranwich rural deanery, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary the Virgin is a small ancient building, consisting of chancel, nave and round tower. The register dates from the year 1732. The living is a rectory, yearly value £189, with residence and 19 acres of glebe , in the gift of W. Amhurst Tyssen Amherst esq. M.P. and held since 1876 by the Rev. Henry Ray B.A. of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, who is also vicar of Didlington-cum-Colveston. Mrs. Lyne Stephens is lady of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is mostly sand, with a chalky subsoil. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 1,814 acres; rateable value, £846; ad the population in 1881 was 69.
Letters through Mundford Railway Sub-Office, arrive at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 7.30 p.m. Mundford is the nearest money order & telegraph office
The children attend Mundford school
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 1999; links updated November 2010.
Sale particulars Didlington Estate, 1910.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Cranwich Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Inn in Cranwich [Norfolk Pubs Index]
More on Cranwich [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page