1891 Census Names Index
Complete Census Transcripts for 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1891 and 1901.
Kelly's 1937
White's 1845, 1854 and 1883
Kelly's 1900 (Description only) [Martin & Marie Edwards]
Cranworth smockmill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Local web-site
Cranworth Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Blomefild on Cranworth & Swathing [British History on Line]
More on Cranworth [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk: Cranworth

Entry in Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 279.

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, December 1998

CRANWORTH (or CRANWORTH-CUM-LETTON) is a village and parish 4 miles west from Hardingham station, 7 north-east from Watton, and 6½ from East Dereham, in the Southern division of the county, Mitford hundred and [Mitford and Launditch] union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary the Virgin is a small building of flint and stone, built about the middle of the thirteenth century; it was repaired and restored in the original style of Early English architecture in 1852, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, porch, with a square tower and spire, and contains some handsome monuments to various members of the Gurdon family, of Letton Hall. The register dates from the year 1653. The living is a rectory, with Letton and Southborough annexed, joint yearly value £307, with residence, in the gift of Robert Thornhaugh Gurdon esq. M.P. and held since 1874 by the Rev. Thomas Perry Garnier M.A. of All Souls College, Oxford and rural dean of the Mitford division of the rural deanery of Hingham. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel. The poor have £14 yearly for fuel, derived from land. Robert Monsey, son of the Rev. Edmund Rolfe, curate of Martin Cranworth, was born December 18th 1790, in the Rectory house; he was afterwards Lord High Commissioner of England, being raised to the peerage by the title of Baron Cranworth, after his birthplace: he dying without issue the title became extinct. Robert Thornhaugh Gurdon esq. M.P. is the lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is mixed; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,126 acres; rateable value £1,630; in 1881 the population was 239.

_____

Letters through Thetford, viâ Shipdham, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

School, Miss E. Hancock, mistress

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, December 1998; links updated March 2010.

Note: The barony of Cranworth was revived in 1899, and Philip Bertram Gurdon, b. 1940, s. 1964, m. is the 3rd Baron Cranworth

1891 Census Names Index
Complete Census Transcripts for 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1891 and 1901.
Kelly's 1937
White's 1845, 1854 and 1883
Kelly's 1900 (Description only) [Martin & Marie Edwards]
Cranworth smockmill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Local web-site
Cranworth Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Blomefild on Cranworth & Swathing [British History on Line]
More on Cranworth [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page