CRANWORTH, on the Blackwater rivulet, is a scattered village, 2½ miles S.E. of Shipdham, and 16 miles W. by S. of >a href="Norwich.htm">Norwich. Its parish contains 340 souls, and 1107 acres of fertile land, mostly belonging to T.T.D.Gurdon, Esq., the lord of the manor and patron of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £5. 18s. 6½d., and in 1831 at £326, with that of Letton annexed to it. The Rev. Philip Gurdon, M.A., is the incumbent, and the tithes of Cranworth have been commuted for £212. 14s. per annum. The Church (St. Mary) is a large structure, with a square tower, surmounted by a small wooden spire. In the chancel are several neat monuments of the Gurdons of Letton Hall. Here was anciently a village called Swathing, but it was depopulated several centuries ago. A neat School was built here in 1844, by the lord of the manor. The Fuel Allotment, awarded in 1798, is 6A. 3R. 17P. The poor have also 5s. a year from Mowting's charity.
Clark Jeremiah, beerhouse FARMERS. Cobb Robert, cooper Aylmer John, Booter's Hall Frost Robert, shoemaker Clarke John Gurdon Rev Philip, M.A., Rectory Kiddle Robert Hammond John & Son, blacksmiths Potter Elisha Hammond Philip, parish clerk Vincent Jeremiah Littleproud Robert, corn miller Milk Matthew, shopkeeper Webster Samuel, grocer and draper
Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 1999; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Complete Census Transcripts for 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1891 and 1901.
Mitford & Launditch union
White's 1854 and 1883
Kelly's 1883 and 1937
Kelly's 1900 (Description only) [Martin & Marie Edwards]
Cranworth smockmill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Cranworth Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Cranworth [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page