CRIMPLESHAM ia a village and parish, 2½ miles east from Downham Market station and 96½ from London, in the Western division of the county, in Clackclose hundred, Downham union and county court district, rural deanery of Fincham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of the Virgin Mary has nave and square tower containing 5 bells. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a vicarage, with that of Stradsett annexed by the Eclesiastical Commissioners in 1878, joint yearly value about £300, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and held since 1880 by the Rev. William Burnet M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin. To the poor are allotted 12 acres of land, producing an average renatal of £7 a year, distributed in coals yearly. Crimplesham Hall is a white brick building, erected in 1881 from designs by A. Waterhouse A.R.A. and is the seat of Sir Alfred Thomas Bagge bart. Commdr. R.N., J.P. lord of the manor and rincipal landowner. The soil is mostly strong clay of excellent quality; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and oats. The area is 1,620 acres; rateable value, £2,568; the population in 1881 was 293.
Parochial School (mixed), supported by volunary rate, Arthur Orvis, master
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, June 2009, with minor correction and links updated May, 2010.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Crimplesham links [Sheila Weeden-Bruce]
Crimplesham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Crimplesham [GENUKI-NFK]