CRIMPLESHAM, a scattered village, 2½ miles E. of Downham, comprises in its parish 68 houses, 329 souls, and 1,573 acres of land, mostly belonging to Wm. Bagge, Esq., the lord of the manor. The Church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, has a square tower and five bells ; and the living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's book at £8, and in 1831 at £74. The Bishop of Norwich is patron, and the Rev. Jno. C. Morphew, A.B.[sic], incumbent. The tithes are commuted for £525 1s. 8d., of which more than £400 belongs to the Bishop. The Fuel allotment consists of 12a. 2r. 24p. ; let for £23 a year. Here is a school supported by Mrs. Doyle.
Mrs. Eliz. Doyle. Hall ; Jno. Duffield, vict. Nag's Head ;
Rev. J. C. Morphew, A.B.[sic], Rectory ; Mary Plaice, blacksmith ;
Jas. Roberts, butcher ;
Hy. Roberts, vict. Red Hart ;
Robt. Roberts, shopkeeper;
Jno. Negus, and
Pp. Oakes, farmers.