1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunts' 1850 [GENUKI-BFK]
Cringleford Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Cringleford [GENUKI-NFK]
Cringleford watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Cringleford

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.281.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

CRINGLEFORD is a village and parish about 2 miles south-west from Norwich, its nearest railway station, in the Southern division of the county, Humbleyard hundred, Henstead union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Humbleyard, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich, on the road from Norwich to Newmarket and on the river Yare, over which is a stone bridge of two arches connecting this place with Eaton. The church of St. Peter is a flint building in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel and nave, with a porch on the north side and square tower containing 3 bells. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £150, in the gift of the trustees of St. Giles' Hospital, Norwich, and held by the Rev. Arthur James Back M.A. of Caius College, Cambridge. On the river Yare is a large corn mill, which dates back to the time of Henry the Eighth, and was rebuilt in 1780 when a bridge was also built. This place was totally consumed by fire in Queen Elizabeth's reign, and an Act was passed for its rebuilding in 1581. The trustees of St. Giles' Hospital, commonly called the Old Man's Hospital, Norwich, who are lords of the manor, Edward Trafford esq. the trustees of R. H. Gurney and A. Massey esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is of a light sandy nature; subsoil, sandy. The crops are of the usual kind. The area is 890 acres; rateable value, £2,235; the population in 1881 was 95.

WALL LETTER BOX near the church cleared at 5 p.m. Letters through Norwich viä Eaton. Norwich is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

INSURANCE AGENT.—County Fire, William Primrose

A National School for boys & girls is supported by voluntary contributions & a small weekly payment by the scholars; Miss Robinson, mistress

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, April 2005; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunts' 1850 [GENUKI-BFK]
Cringleford Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Cringleford [GENUKI-NFK]
Cringleford watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page