CROSTWIGHT is a parish 14 miles north-east from Norwich and 3¾ from North Walsham, in the Northern division of the county, Tunstead hundred, Smallburgh union, North Walsham county court district, rural deanery of Waxham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a stone building, and consists of chancel, nave and south porch and lofty square tower: a screen of carved oak separates the chancel from the nave: the seats are also of carved oak: here is an ancient octagonal stone font, supported on a central pillar and eight smaller ones. The register dates from the year 1698. The living is a rectory, yearly value, including the glebe, £160, in the gift of the trustees of the late Martin James Shepheard esq, and held since 1855 by the Rev. John Bartholomew Vale M.A. of Emmanuel College. Cambridge. £1 10s, derived from town lands is for bread. Mrs. Shepheard is lady of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is rich mixed; subsoil, sand, gravel and clay, The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 777 acres; rateable value £873; and the population in 1881 was 88.
Letters through Norwich, viā Smallburgh. North Walsham is the nearest money order office
Transcription © Copyright E.C.("Paddy") Apling, March, 2009; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index (& other Census pages)
White's 1845 and 1883] [GENUKI-NFK]
Archeology of Honing (& Crostwight) [Norfolk Heritage Expolorer]
More on Crostwight [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page