CROWNTHORPE is a village and parish, 2 miles north-west from Wymondham station, in the Southern division of the county, Forehoe hundred and union, Wymondham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. James is a small stone edifice, in the Early English style: it has chancel and nave, with square tower containing 1 bell, and contains an oak pulpit with three richly carved panels: in 1844 the church was new roofed and fitted with open seats ad in 1880 was again re-seated and the interior thoroughly restored. The register dates from about the year 1700. The living is a rectory annexed to Carlton Forehoe, yearly value £150, with 30 acres of glebe here and 90 at Carlton Forehoe, in the gift of the Earl of Kimberley and held since 1874 by the Rev. John Edward Parket Bartlett, of St. Bees. The Earl of Kimberley is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clay; subsoil, brick earth. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and hay. The area is 696 acres; rateable value, £1,220; and the population in 1881 was 68.
POST OFFICE. Samuel Breeze receiver. Letters arrive through Wymondham at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 7.15 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Wymondham.
This place is included in the United School Board district of Wicklewood, formed in 1875; the children attend the Board school there.
Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling, August 2000; links updated May 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; 1864: and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Inn in Crownthorpe [Norfolk Pubs Index]
Wicklewood Archeology (including Crownthorpe) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page