CROWNTHORPE, a village and parish, 2 miles W.N.W. of Wymondham, contains 21 houses, 100 souls, and about 669 acres of land, all belonging to Lord Wodehouse, the lord of the manor, and patron of the rectory, except 113 acres, a portion of Kimberley Park Lake, which is in this parish, and 16a. 16p. of glebe. The Church, dedicated to St. James, was new seated and neatly refitted with open seats in 1844. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's book at £4. 12s. 6d., and in lieu of tithes, had a yearly rent of £150 awarded in 1841. The Rev. Francis Raikes is the incumbent. The Eastern Counties Railway to Dereham intersects this parish. The lands were enclosed here in 1777. The poor have 10s, a year from Hendry's Charity, noticed with Wymondham.
1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883 Directory entry
White's 1845; 1864: and 1883 [all GENUKI-NFK]
Inn in Crownthorpe [Norfolk Pubs Index]
Wicklewood Archeology (including Crownthorpe) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page