CROXTON is a small village and parish in a small vale, 2 miles north from Thetford railway station, in the Western division of the county, Thetford union and county court district, Grimshoe hundred, rural deanery of Cranwich, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich, situated on the road from Thetford to Watton. The church of All Saints is an ancient flint structure, in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, standing on the side of a hill: it has chancel, nave, south aisle and tower of flint, round at the base, but the upper part is octagonal. with spire and a clock: the chancel is now (1883) being rebuilt. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a vicarage, value £73 yearly, tithe rent charge, with residence and 28 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Master and fellows of Christ's College, Cambridge, and held since 1852 by the Rev. Henry Williams M.A. of that college. Here are places of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. The poor's allotment of 26 acres produces £5 yearly. The Master and fellows of Christ's College and William Dalziel Mackenzie esq. are lords of the manor, and with John Willam Davey esq. J.P. the chief landowners. The soil is sandy; subsoil, chalk and clay. The chief crops are oats, barley and wheat. The area is 4,533 acres; rateable value, £3625 2s. 6d.; and the population in 1881 was 368.
POST OFFICE. Frederick Brighton, receiver. Letters from Thetford are received at 3.30 a.m.; dispatched at 9.10 p.m. Thetford is the nearest money order and telegraph office
National School, for 70 children, average attendance 44; Miss Mary Garland, mistress
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, April 1999; spelling correction January 2010; links updated November 2010.
EDP Report 1st March, 2000
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Croxton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Ruin of St. John the Baptist Church, Croxton [Simon Knott]
Croxton tower windmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Croxton [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page