CROXTON, a parish and village on the acclivity of a hill, 2 miles N. of Thetford, contains 387 inhabitants, 82 houses, and 4,592a. of light sandy land, a great part of which is sheep walks. Lord Ashburton owns a great part of the soil; but Elizabeth Wright and Christ College, Cambridge, have estates here; the latter also have the advowson of the vicarage, valued in the King's book at £6 13s. 4d., and in 1831, at £100. It has been augmented with £400 Queen Anne's bounty, and is enjoyed by the Rev. Henry Williams, M.A., who has a neat vicarage house erected in 1843, at a cost of £700. Two small schools are supported by subscription; and here is a Methodist chapel. The Fuel Allotment, 20a., awarded in 1815, is let for £5. The poor are allowed to cut turf on the adjoining heath, on making small payments for every 1,000 turves.
George Lambert, vict. Bell;
William Taylor, shopkeeper, smith, and wheelwright;
Elizabeth West, beerhouse; and
William Bilham, John Gayford, Craske Roper, Park, and Samuel Roper, farmers;
John Brighton, shoemaker.
EDP Report 1st March, 2000
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Croxton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Croxton tower windmill [Jonathan Neville]
Ruin of St. John the Baptist Church, Croxton [Simon Knott]
More on Croxton [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page