[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling]
DENTON is a pleasant scattered village amd parish 4½ miles north-east from Harleston, 4 south-west from Bungay and 1½ from Homersfield station pm the Waveney Valley railway, in the Southern section of the county, Earsham hundred, Depwade union, Harleston county court district rural deanery of Redenhall, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary the Virgin is a handsome building of flint with stone dressings, chiefly in the Decorated style with spacious chancel, in which is a fine-toned organ, nave, aisles, low square embattled tower containing 3 bells and clock, and it has also a well-proportioned north porch, with a groined stone roof and carved crosses, a considerable sum has been expended on the improvement of ths church, and in 1868 the nave and aisles were floored with Minton's tiles, and re-seated throughout with open oak benches, the chancel having been previously restored: in 1874 the aisles were refoofed in oak and covered with lead: there are three memorial stained widows, two to the Sandby family, and one to that of Umpleby: a lych-gate of solid oak has been erected at the entrance to the churchyard. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a rectory: tithes have been commuted to £769 yearly; the glebe is 92 acres, and the church land 5½ acres; it is in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury, who must confer it on one who either is or has been a fellow of Merton College, Oxford: the Rev. Charles Arundell St. John-Mildmay M.A. late fellow of Merton Colleghe, has held the living since 1879. The rectory house and grounds immediately adjoin the church. There is a Congregational chapel, endowed with £80 yearly, and residence for the minister. The poor have a few benefactions, about £9 8s. left by different individuals. Denton House is the seat of Walter Hamilton Pemberton J.P. Denton Lodge that of Gen. Morden Carthew C.B. There are several manors in this parish. The principal landowners are the Hon. Mrs. Arundell Bouverie, Walter Hamilton Pemberton esq. and Bowyer esq.; there are also some smaller owners. The soil is strong loam; subsoil clay. The land near the church and rectory is sandy. The chief corps are wheat, beans, turnbips, beet and barley. The area is 2,437 acres; rateable value, £3,463; the population in 1881 was 484.
POST OFFICE.Mrs. Ann Aldred, receiver. Letters arrived from Harleston at 9.5 a.m.; dispatched at 4.