Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Earsham hundred
Depwade union
Kelly's 1883
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1845 and White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Denton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Denton Great Green postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Local village web-site
More on Denton [GENUKI-NFK]

Norfolk - Denton

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, pp. 378-379

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, November 2002.]

DENTON, a village 4 miles E.N.E. of Harleston, has, in its parish, 114 houses, 571 souls, and 2,430 acres of land ; the principal owners of which are Chas. Umphelby, Esq., Miss Sandby, Rev. Geo. Sandby, Archdeacon Bouverie, and Mr. Joseph Farrall. Most of the copyholds are held of the manor of Topcroft-with-Denton, of which the Rev. W. J. Smyth is lord. Here is a small manor attached to the rectory. The commons were enclosed under an act passed in 1805. Denton House and Lodge, are two handsome mansions, beautified with pleasure grounds and shrubberies ; the former is the seat of C. Umphelby, Esq., and the latter of the Rev. G. Sandby. The Church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, is an ancient fabric, which was repewed, repaired, and beautified some years ago. The tower was raised ten feet in 1843, and various improvements have been made at the expense of the rector. The east window is filled with stained glass, and the porch is finely groined and decorated with carvings of the annunciation, the nativity, the resurrection, and the ascension. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £24, is in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury, who must confer it on one who either is or has been a fellow of Merton College, Oxford, pursuant to the will of the Rev. Matthew Postlethwayte, a former patron, who died in 1714. The Ven. Willm. Arundell Bonverie, archdeacon of Norfolk, has been incumbent since 1839, and has greatly improved the parsonage house and grounds. There are 92a. of glebe, and the tithes were commuted in 1839 for £761 18s. per annum. The Church Land is 6a. The Independent Chapel, built in 1821, has an endowment of about £80 a year, and a residence for the minister. The National School, built in 1840, has 7a. of land left by the Rev. Thomas Rogerson, in 1722, of which the rector is sole trustee, and now let in allotments for about £10 10s. a year. The sum of £2 2s. is distributed among the poor, who have also the following doles, viz. : 8s. for Bibles, left by Sarah Redbank, in 1692 ; 20s. left by John Warner ; £3 10s. from land left by the Rev. John Portor ; and 21s. left by John Button, in 1803.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, November 2002; links updated November 2009.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Earsham hundred
Depwade union
Kelly's 1883
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1845 and White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Denton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Denton Great Green postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Local village web-site
More on Denton [GENUKI-NFK]