Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Clackclose hundred
Downham Union
Index of Marriages (1725-1812) [Alan Gresley]
Kelly's 1883
Lewis' Topographical Dictionary [S. A. Whittle-Bruce]
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Denver Windmill [Local web-site]
Denver windmill [Norfolk Windmills Trust]
Denver tower-mill, postmill and Salter's Lode smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Carpemter's Arms [Norfolk Pubs Index]
Denver Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Denver [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Denver

Francis White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk 1854, p. 625

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, February, 2001]

DENVER, a parish and village 1 mile S. of Downham, comprises 942 souls, 200 houses, and 2,933a. 3r. 13p. of land, and the hamlets of DENVER SLUICE and SALTER'S LODE, distant 1 mile W. of Denver, on the river Ouse ; the former at the mouth of the New Bedford river, and the latter at the confluence of the Old Bedford river, both navigable for small craft. Denver Sluice is crossed by a bridge built at a great expense, when the Bedford Level was drained, but was destroyed by the violence of the tides in 1713, and soon afterwards rebuilt. In 1834 and '5 it was again partly rebuilt and widened at the cost of £30,000. At Salter's Lode are sluices or locks, into the Well Creek, and Old Bedford river. Edw. R. Pratt, Esq., is lord of the manors, but J. R. Fryer, Esq., occupies (Crow Hall,) and Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, have large estates here, and the latter has the patronage of the CHURCH, dedicated to St. Mary, which has a tower, small spire, and five bells. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £10 13s. 4d. and in 1831, at £898 18s. 9d., is in two medieties called St. Peter's East, and St. Michael's, Westhall. The Rev. Wm. H. Stokes, M.A., is the incumbent, and has 92a. of glebe. A black marble stone in the church covers the remains of Dr. Brady, a native of this parish, who died in 1700. He wrote a History of England, and was master of Gonville and Caius College, to which he bequeathed his estates in Denver. The Church Land, 28a. 2r. is let for £50 a year. The poor have £2 a year from land given by A. Dillingham ; £4 a year from land purchased with £100 given by Mrs. Stafford : and £4 per annum, for widows, left by the late rector, the Rev. S. C. Smith. The Methodists have a chapel here. A great shew of Leicester Rams is held at Mr. Thos. Brown's yearly in June. Here is a station on the East Anglian Railway.
Post Office at Wm. Ambrose's: letters arrive from Downham at 7 a.m. and are despatched at 6 p.m.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, February 2001; links updated May 2010.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Clackclose hundred
Downham Union
Index of Marriages (1725-1812) [Alan Gresley]
Lewis' Topographical Dictionary [S. A. Whittle-Bruce]
Kelly's 1883
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Denver Windmill [Local web-site]
Denver windmill [Norfolk Windmills Trust]
Denver tower-mill, postmill and Salter's Lode smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Carpemter's Arms [Norfolk Pubs Index]
Denver Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Denver [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]