Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Notice of Enclosure [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1854 Directory entry
White's 1845 Directory entry [GENUKI-NFK]
Deopham towermill, postmill and Deopham smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Deopham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Deopham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Deopham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.285.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

DEOPHAM is a parish 2½ miles south from Kimberley station, 3 north from Attleborough station, and 4 south-west from Wymondham, comprising the small village of DEOPHAM GREEN, situate a mile south-east from the church. The parish is in the Southern division of the county, Forehoe hundred and union, Wymondham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew is in the Perpendicular style, having chancel, lofty nave and aisles, with a handsome square embattled tower, having octagonal turrets, and two strong buttresses at each angle, with ornamental pinnacles on each side, and containing 5 bells: in 1864 the chancel was entirely restored and new roofed, and furnished with a new window and communion rails, and the floor paved with Minton's tiles, and in 1867 the south aisle was restored at a cost of £240: in consequence of the dilapidated condition of the nave, north aisle, the windows of the latter and the flooring of the church, service is now held in the chancel only, which is boarded off from the rest of the building: restorations (commenced July 1882) are in progress and will be continued so long as the funds in the hands of the vicar (who is raising subscriptions) will permit: the tower is also in a very unsatisfactory state: it is estimated the total cost of restoring the edifice will be about £3,200, including £500 for the tower. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a vicarage, tithes commuted at £190, with £35 added by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, with residence and 23 acres of glebe in Shipdham and 6 acres in this parish, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury and held by the Rev. Hibbert Wanklyn, of University College, Durham. The Rev. Henry Rix, who died in 1728, left £60, to be invested in land (which produces a rental of £12 yearly), the proceeds to be appropriated for teaching four poor children and for an annual sermon, the minister to receive 10s. and clerk 1s. and 8s. for each child, the remainder to be given in bread to the poor parishioners. About £12 arising from 14 acres of land, awarded at the enclosure in 1814 in lieu of common rights, is distributed among the poor annually. The Primitive Methodists have two small chapels, one at Deopham Green, the other at Low Common. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are impropriators of the rectorial tithes. The Earl of Kimberley, the Sutton family and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, are lords of the manor. The principal landowners are the Earl of Kimberley, the trustees of the late J. B. Graver Browne esq and the Crown. The soil is marl; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and hay. The area is 1,646 acres; rateable value, £3,147; the population in 1881 was 424.

_____

POST OFFICE.— Robert Phœnix, receiver. Letters through Wymondham, arrive at 8.30 a.m. & are dispatched at 5.50 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph offices are at Attleborough & Hingham.

PILLAR LETTER BOX (Low Common), cleared at 5.30 p.m. week days

A National school to hold 84 children is supported by subscriptions; Miss Georgina Clarkson, mistress

© Transcribed by E.C.("Paddy") Apling, February 1999; links updated May 2010.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Notice of Enclosure [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1854 Directory entry
White's 1845 Directory entry [GENUKI-NFK]
Deopham towermill, postmill and Deopham smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Deopham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Deopham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]