Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Forehoe hundred
Forehoe Incorporation
Notice of Enclosure [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1883 Directory entry
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Deopham towermill, postmill and Deopham smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Deopham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Deopham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Deopham

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, pp. 471-472

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2002.]

DEOPHAM, or Deepham parish, 2½ miles S.E. of Hingham, includes the village of Deopham Green, and contains 120 scattered houses, 494 inhabitants, and 1,626 acres of land, belonging to a number of proprietors, and lying in two manors, of which Lord Wodehouse and the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury are lords. The latter are appropriators of the rectorial tithes, and patrons of the vicarage, valued in the King's book at £5 7s. 11d., and in 1831, at £204. It has been augmented with £200 Queen Anne's bounty, and £200 private benefactions, which was laid out in land at Shipdham. The Church, dedicated to St. Andrew, a spacious edifice with a square tower, stands half a mile from the village. The Rev. George Turner is the incumbent. A neat vicarage house and a new school room were erected in 1851. A fine elm tree, 90 feet high, stands in a field occupied by Mr. Archibald Rowing, sen. ; a large lime tree of the same height, was cut down from the same land, in 1705, the trunk of which was from 8½ to 16 yards in girth. The office of parish clerk, held by William Knights, has been in the same family upwards of a century. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here. The Rev. Henry Rix, in 1726, gave £60 for schooling children, &c., which was laid out on 4a. 1r. 32p. of land, now let for £8 a year, out of which 32s. is paid for teaching four children ; 10s. for a sermon, 1s. to the clerk, and the rest expended in bread for the poor. The Charter Acre, exchanged at the enclosure for 1a. 38p., let for £3, of which 11s. is paid annually to the sheriff, for renewing the "Town Charter," and the remainder is applied with the church-rates. The Fuel Allotment, 14a. 2r. 13p., awarded at the enclosure of 1814, produces about £23 a year, which is expended in coals and bread for the poor,

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2002; links updated May 2010.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Forehoe hundred
Forehoe Incorporation
Notice of Enclosure [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1883 Directory entry
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Deopham towermill, postmill and Deopham smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Deopham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Deopham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]