1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Dersingham Mill Road postmill, Mill Way postmill and Mill Hill postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Catholic church of St. Cecilia [Simon Knott]
Local Council web-site
and Dersingham on-line
Dersingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Dersingham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Dersingham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.292.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

DERSINGHAM is a village and parish, with station on the Lynn and Hunstanton railway, 8½ miles north-north-east from Lynn and 107 from London, in the Western division of the county, Freebridge Lynn hundred, Docking union, Lynn county court district, rural deanery of Lynn and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich, situated on the Lynn and Hunstanton road. The railway station is situated about three quarters of a mile west from the village. The church of St. Nicholas is a large ancient structure of flint and stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, which contains some fine Decorated windows and sedilia much mutilated, nave with clerestory, aisles, south porch and square embattled tower containing 6 bells: the chancel is divided from the nave by an old carved oak screen, some of the tracery of which has been restored: in the south aisle is a curious altar-tomb of the Pell family, date 1607: there are also some brasses and several ancient and curious marble slabs, and an ancient font with a handsome old carved oak cover: the church was thoroughly restored between 1877 and 1879 at a cost of £5,000; Dr. Bellamy defrayed the cost of the restoration of the nave, the Ecclesiastical Commissioners that of the chancel, supplemented by £300 raised by subscription: the building was entirely reseated with open pews of wainscot, with pulpit of the same, and a handsome brass lectern erected. The register dates from the year 1710. The living is a vicarage, yearly value about £380, in the gift of the Rev. J. Bellamy D.D. President of St. John's College, Oxford, and held since 1876 by the Rev. Edward William Penny M.A. of St. John's College, Oxford. The rectory house completed in 1877 is built of carr stone and red bricks, and stands on a pleasant elevation. Here are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. At the enclosure of the common, 75 acres of land were reserved for the benefit of the poor. There is a charity of about £21 annual value, arising from nine acres of land, left by three different donors, and £5 from land at Snettisham, left by Mrs. Pell in 1732; these amounts are expended in coals, which are distributed to the poor of the parish. The Old Hall is a large plain building of carr stone and stuccoed, standing in the centre of the village, the residence of John B. Goggs esq. Here are five manors, viz., Hunstanton-with-Mustrels, Ringstead-with-Holme and Northall, Holme-next-the-Sea and Hoods-in-Holme, of which H.R.H. The Prince of Wales and the Rev. J. Bellamy D.D. are lords, and they and John B. Goggs esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is light mixed; subsoil, principally chalk and carr stone. The crops are generally on the four-course system. The area is 3,472 acres; reateable value, £5,008; the population in 1881 was 1,014.

POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE & Savings Bank.—Enoch Bucket, postmaster. London & other letters are received through Lynn by mail cart; arrive at 6.30 a.m. & are dispatched at 6.10 p.m. There is also a Wall Box, cleared at 6.45 p.m.

The Church of England schools were largely added to in 1875. H.R.H. The Prince of Wales gave the site & £500; the cost of the building operations was principally defrayed by Dr. Bellamy. Alfred Firth, schoolmaster; Miss Firth, infants' mistress

Railway Station, Matthew Bullock, station master

CARRIERS TO LYNN.—Abraham Davis & William Flegg, tuesday & saturday, returning same day. There are several other carriers to & from Lynn passing through the village

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, February 2005; links last updated February 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Catholic church of St. Cecilia [Simon Knott]
Dersingham Mill Road postmill, Mill Way postmill and Mill Hill postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Catholic church of St. Cecilia [Simpn Knott]
Local Council web-site
and Dersingham on-line
Dersingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Dersingham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page