[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling]
DICKLEBURGH with LANGMERE is a parish and large village. situated on an acclibity, on the road from Diss to Norwich, 5 miles north-east from the Diss. 2 east from Burston station on the Great Eastern railway, in the Southern section of the county, Diss hundred, Depwade union, Harleston county court district Redenhall rural deanery, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a handsome Perpendicular building, consisting of chancek, nave with clerestory, aisles, and square tower containing 5 bells; the interior is lofty; in 1867 the old pews were removed. and the church was re-seated with open oak benches; an organ was also presented, the chancel walls were repainted, and a new roof erected, at the cost of the late rector. the Rev. W. C. Mathison, and the east window has been filled with handsome stained glass by his widow: on the wall of the chancel entrance is a marble tablet to the Lady Platers, and one in the body of the church to George Lee esq. as well as one to the Captain Starkie; two monuments have been erected in the chancel, one to Lieut.-Gen. Turner, by his surviving children and another to Captain Henry Turner, son of the above, who died in the Crimea, erected by his brother officers. The register dates from the year 1540. The living is a rectory, tithes commuted at £754, with a good house and 109 acres of glebe, in the gift of Trinity College, Cambriddge, and held since 1871 by the Rev. Henry Brandreth M.A. late fellow of that college, J.P. for Norfolk. The Baptists have a chapel here. The town lands produce an income of £80, of which £24 is spent on coals, and the remainder by the churchwardens in support of the church. The interest on the sum of £1,000 left by the late Mrs. Mathison, is also spent on charities. The rector of Dickleburgh for the time being is lord of the manor of Dickleburgh Rectory, and the land belongs to several copyholders. The soil is partly heavy and partly light; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat and barley, and some beans. The area of Dickleburgh with Langmere is 2.343 acres; reateble value, £3,574; and the population in 1881 was 829.
LANGMERE is a hamlet or township annexed to Dickleburgh, locally situated in Earsham hundred. There is no village, but several farmhouses.
POST OFFICE.John Elliott, receiver. Letters arrive from Scole at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 6.45 p.m. Scole is the nearest money order & telegraph office
In the churchyard is a school, erected at a cst of £100, being part of the sum of £500 left by Henry Kett for that purpose; the remainder was invested in the £3 [er Cent. Consols, & since considerably increased: in 1842 anoher wing was added, by subscrition, for an infant's school; the school was enlarged by subscription in 1871, & a room for a separate boy's school was added in 1881, the whole being under the conrol of trustees. William Davies, master; Mrs. Davies, mistress
CARRIERS TO NORWICH.John Mills, from Eye, wed. & sat.; Chenery, from Diss, wed. & sat.
Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 2011.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Dickleburgh and Rushall Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Dickleburgh early postmills, later postmill, Burston Wood postmill. Langmere postmill and Rectory Road postmill [all Jonathan Neville]
Old photos, maps and books [Francis Frith collection]
More on Dickleburgh [GENUKI-NFK]