Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Diss hundred
Depwade union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Dickleburgh and Rushall Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Dickleburgh early postmills, later postmill, Burston Wood postmill. Langmere postmill and Rectory Road postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Old photos, maps and books [Francis Frith collection]
More on Dickleburgh [GENUKI-NFK]

Norfolk - Dickleburgh

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, pp. 364-365

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, September 2002.

DICKLEBURGH WITH LANGMERE, a parish 5 miles N.E. of Diss, contains 205 houses, 959 souls, and 2,054a. 2r. 12p. of land, exclusive of 160a. of open commons, called High Green, Semese Green, and Dickleburgh Moor. Langmere is a hamlet and constablewick about a mile E. of the village, locally situated in Earsham hundred, and at the last census had 127 inhabitants. The soil belongs chiefly to copyholders, subject to arbitrary fines ; the rector has a small manor here, and the Earl of Orford is lord of the rest. The Church, a spacious edifice, dedicated to All Saints, has a tower and five bells, and contains a fine memorial to Lady Playters. The rectory, formerly in four medieties, valued in the King's book at £28, has a yearly rent of £725, awarded in 1839, in lieu of tithes, and there are 100a. of glebe. The Rev. Geo. Stevenson, M.A. is the incumbent, and has a handsome rectory house, built in 1839. The patronage is vested in Trinity College, Cambrige[sic]. The Methodists have a chapel here. In 1812, Henry Kett left £500 for the establishment of a Lancasterian school here, of which £100 was laid out in 1814 in building a school room, and the residue laid out in the purchase of stock, which now amounts to £797 9s., three per cent consols, besides which there is £136 10s. in the Saving's Bank. The school occupies the site of the Town-House, and was enlarged in 1841 with funds raised by subscription : from 80 to 100 children attend. The poor have 20s. a-year, left by R. Chapman. The Town Lands consist of 31a. 2r. 33p., let for £60 a year, which is applied in the service of the church. Post Office at Jonth. Row's. Letters arrive at 7 a.m., and are despatched at 6.15 p.m.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, September 2002; links updated January 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Diss hundred
Depwade union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Dickleburgh and Rushall Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Dickleburgh early postmills, later postmill, Burston Wood postmill. Langmere postmill and Rectory Road postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Old photos, maps and books [Francis Frith collection]
More on Dickleburgh [GENUKI-NFK]