1891 Census Names Index
Sale particulars Didlington Estate, 1910.
Didlington since 1940
Auction catalogue for the Sale of fixtures, 1950
Didlington Church
Kelly's 1937; and White's 1854
White's 1845; 1864; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Didlington Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Didlington postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Didlington [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Special note to viewers of this page

_______________________________________

Norfolk - Didlington

Entry in Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.293.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

DIDLINGTON is a parish 7 miles from Brandon station and 5 east from Stoke Ferry station, both on the Great Eastern railway and 1 miles from Colveston, in the Western division of the county, hundred of South Greenhoe, union and county court district of Swaffham, rural deanery of Cranwich, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich, The church, a stone building situate close to the Hall, consists of chancel, nave and tower, and is of the Perpendicular period, the chancel being Early English: it has been repaired and re-seated with open benches of oak by the Amherst family; the communion steps and rail are of white marble and the floor of colored marble, and there are some beautiful stained windows. The register dates from the year 1717. The living is a vicarage, consolidated with the rectory of Colveston, joint yearly value £200, with 114 acres of glebe, in the gift of W. Amhurst Tyssen Amherst esq. M.P., J.P. and held by the Rev. Henry Ray B.A. of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, who is also rector of and resides at Cranwich. There is a charity of £5 yearly for bread to the poor. Didlington Hall, the seat of William Amhurst Tyssen Amherst esq. M.P., D.L., J.P. is a handsome building in the Italian style, situate in a finely-timbered park, with a beautiful sheet of water of nearly 50 acres in extent, dotted with several small islands: the mansion contains a good gallery of pictures by celebrated masters, a valuable library containing many rare books and manuscripts, with some valuable tapestry and articles of vertu. William Amhurst Tyssen Amherst esq. M.P., D.L., J.P. who is a noted breeder of red polled cattle, is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is light sandy loam; subsoil chalk and sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 1,854 acres; rateable value, £1,257; in 1881 the population was 95.

Letters from Brandon, through Northwold, by foot post. Northwold is the nearest money order & telegraph office

School, average attendance 20, erected and supported by W. Amhurst Tyssen Amherst esq.; Mrs. E. Jacobs, mistress

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, February 1999; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Sale particulars Didlington Estate, 1910.
Didlington since 1940
Auction catalogue for the Sale of fixtures, 1950
Didlington Church
Kelly's 1937; and White's 1854
White's 1845; 1864; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Didlington Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Didlington postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Didlington [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page