1891 Census Names Index
Sale particulars Didlington Estate, 1910.
Didlington since 1940
Auction catalogue for the Sale of fixtures, 1950
Didlington Church
Kelly's 1883; and White's 1854
White's 1845; 1864; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Didlington Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Didlington postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Didlington [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Didlington

Entry in Kelly's Directory for Norfolk, 1937, pp. 126-127.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

DIDLINGTON is a parish about 7 miles north from Brandon station on the Ely and Thetford branch and 5 miles east from Stoke Ferry terminal station of the London and North Eastern railway, in the South Western division of the county, petty sessional division of Grimshoe, hundred of South Greenhoe, rural district and county court district of Swaffham, rural deanery of Thetford, archdeaconry of Lynn and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Michael is a building of stone in the Early English and later styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 5 bells; the tower is Perpendicular, the chancel being Early English: the chancel steps are rails are of white marble and the floor of coloured marble, and there are several stained windows: the church was repaired and reseated at different periods from 1855 to 1873 by the Amherst family. The register dates from the year 1717. The living is a vicarage, consolidated with the rectories of Cranwich and Colveston, joint net yearly value £330, with 100 acres of glebe, and residence, in the gift of the Church Pastoral Aid Board of Patronage Trust, and held since 1928 by the Rev. John Reginald Annesley Gell, who resides at Cranwich. There is a charity of £5 yearly for bread to the poor. Didlington Hall, the seat of Col. Herbert Francis Smith J.P. Lord of the manor, is a mansion in Italian style, situated in a finely-timbered park of about 1,500 acres, with a beautiful sheet of water of nearly 50 acres in extent, dotted with many small islands. Didlington Estate Co. are the sole landowners. The soil is a light sandy loam; subsoil, chalk and sand. The chief crops are rye, wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 2,738 acres of land and inland water; the population in 1931 was 117.

By the County of Norfolk Review Order, 1935, the civil parish of Colveston was added to this parish.

Letters from Brandon (Suffolk) through Northwold, nearest M. O. & T. Office

COLVESTON is situated 6 miles north from Brandon station, on the Ely and Thetford section of the London and North Eastern railway, and 10 south-by-west from Swaffham, in the hundred of Grimshoe. The church of the Virgin Mary has been for years dilapidated, and little more than the foundation is now visible. The living is a rectory, consolidated with that of Cranwich and the vicarage of Didlington. Col. Herbert Francis Smith J.P. Is lord of the manor and The Didlington Estate Co are the sole landowners. The soil is light sandy; subsoil, chalk and sand. The chief crops are rye, barley and turnips.

Letters through Mundford, which is the nearest M. O. & T. Office

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, March 2004; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Sale particulars Didlington Estate, 1910.
Didlington since 1940
Auction catalogue for the Sale of fixtures, 1950
Didlington Church
Kelly's 1883; and White's 1854
White's 1845; 1864; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Didlington Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Didlington postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Didlington [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page