1891 Census Names Index
Sale particulars Didlington Estate, 1910.
Didlington since 1940
Auction catalogue for the Sale of fixtures, 1950
Didlington Church
Kelly's 1883; and 1937
White's 1845; 1864; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Didlington Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Didlington postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Didlington [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Didlington

Francis White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk 1854, p. 728

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, November 2000]

DIDLINGTON, 8 miles S. by W. of Swaffham, is a parish with only 59 inhabitants, 13 houses, and 1,322 acres of land. Lord Berners sold this estate in 1846 to Lord Wm. Powlett, from whom it passed by sale in 1853, to Wm. Geo. T. Amhurst, Esq., who resides at the Hall, a neat brick mansion, which is now being considerably enlarged. The park contains some fine lime trees, an heronry; and the river Wissey winding its serpentine course through the verdant slopes adds greatly to the picturesque beauty of the scenery. The Church, dedicated to St. Michael, an ancient edifice, with an ivy-mantled tower, is about to be thoroughly repaired and beautified. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's book at £12 14s. 7d., and in 1831 at £110, with the rectory of Colveston annexed to it, in the gift of Lord Berners, and enjoyed by the Rev. V. E. Eyre, who has 20a. of glebe; and the tithes were commuted in 1840 for £100. The poor have £5 a year left by an unknown donor.

DIRECTORY

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, November 2000; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Sale particulars Didlington Estate, 1910.
Didlington since 1940
Auction catalogue for the Sale of fixtures, 1950
Didlington Church
Kelly's 1883; and 1937
White's 1845; 1864; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Didlington Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Didlington postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Didlington [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page