1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Dilham postmill, Dilham smockmill, Dilham Watermill and Dilham Staithe towermill [all Jonathan Neville]
Dilham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Dilham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Dilham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 293.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling]

DILHAM is a large and picturesque village and parish 2 ¾ miles from Worstead station, on the North Walsham branch, 13 miles north-east from >a href="Norwich.htm">Norwich, and 5 south-east from North Walsham, situate on the navigable river Ant, with which is connected the Dilham and North Walsham canal, in the Northern division of the county, Tunstead hundred, Smallburgh union, North Walsham county court district, rural deanery of Waxham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Nicholas consists of a nave of red brick, and a circular embattled tower of flint: the former was rebuilt in 1775, the old tower was pulled down, and the present one rebuilt about 1839; it has 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1568. The living is a vicarage, to which that of Honing is annexed, joint yearly value £308, with 19 acres of glebe, and house in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich, and held since 1872 by the Rev. John Alfred Laurence B.A., of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. "The Islands," the property of H. Morse Taylor esq. form an ornamental pleasure ground, made some years ago by the grandfather of the present owner, chiefly from a worthless bog; it contains about 25 acres, divided into six islands, surrounded by water, connected by ornamental bridges; pine treees and rhododendrons flourish here in great perfection. The trustees of the late W. Windham, esq. are the lords of the manor. H. Morse Taylor and G. Borrett esqrs. are chief landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, sand and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,541 acres; rateable value, £2,621; the population in 1881 was 426.


Letters through Norwich. Worstead is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

National schools have been built by voluntary rate & donations; Miss Mary Ann Nockolds, mistress

© Transcribed by Paul Madgett January 1999; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Dilham postmill, Dilham smockmill, Dilham Watermill and Dilham Staithe towermill [all Jonathan Neville]
Dilham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Dilham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page