DOCKING is a parish, and station on the West Norfolk Junction railway, union town and polling place for the Western division of the county, 6 miles south-west from Burnham Market, 13 west from Wells, 12 north-west from Fakenham, 17 north-east from Lynn, and 117¼ from London, in Smithdon hundred, Little Walsingham county court district, Heacham rural deanery, Norfolk archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich, and is pleasantly situated on the old road from Lynn to Wells. The place was formerly called Dry Docking, from the great scarcity of water that prevailed here, but the deep wells now amply supply the inhabitants with excellent water of icy coldness. The church of St. Mary is a Gothic building of stone and flint, and is in good repair : it consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, organ chamber and porch, and a handsome western tower containing 1 bell : the building was re-roofed in 1875, and additions made, as a cost of over £4,000, raised by subscription : there are monuments to the Hare family; the font is large, with many carved figures much mutilated; there are 650 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a discharged vicarage, yearly value £570, with residence and about 40 acres of glebe, to which Eton College presents, on the nomination of the bishop of Norwich, and held, since 1873, by the Rev. Hugh James Hare M.A. of Queen's College, Oxford. The great tithes were commuted at £1,114. Here are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. A Police Station was erected here in 1854, at a cost of £1,200; it is of white brick, and contains residence for superintendent, and two well ventilated cells; a sessions room was added in 1874 at the expense of the county. A Working Men's Institute was established in 1868, which is supplied with daily and weekly papers and periodicals. The common was enclosed, four acres being reserved for recreation and four for allotments. The lord of the manor is Sir W. H. Brownie ffolkes bart. M.P. and he and Major Humphrey John Hare J.P. Mrs. Seymour, and the trustees of John Calthrop esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is of a light sandy nature; subsoil, principally gravel or flint. The crops are wheat, barley, turnips, mangold-wurzel and seeds. The area is 6,218 acres; rateable value, £8,102; the population in 1881 was 1,409.
POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE & Savages Bank.George Lee, sub-postmaster. Letters received through Lynn at 7.25 & 1.30 p.m.; dispatched at 5.30 p.m. on week days; sundays at 2.40 p.m.
COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR THE SMITHDON AND BROTHERCROSS PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION.
Barwick Sessions are held at the Sessions house the last monday in every month & at Beeton's buildings, in Hunstanton St. Edmunds, on the second monday in each month. The following places are included in the petty sessional division: Barwick, Bircham Great, Bircham Newton, Bircham Tofts, Brancaster, Choseley, Docking, Fring, Heacham, Holme-next-the-Sea, Hunstanton, Ingoldisthorpe, Ringstead, Sedgeford, Shernbourne, Snettisham, Stanhoe, Thornham & Titchwell.
County Fire, George Bennett
London Assurance, J. I. Livock Police Station, John Ward, superintendent. The local force consists of one superintendent & two constables.
Inspector of Weights & Measures for the Freebridge Lynn & Docking [sic. Smithdon] Hundreds, John Ward
The union comprises the following parishes. Eastern Division:Bagthorpe, Barmer, Barwich, Brancaster, Burnham Westgate, Burnham Deepdale, Burnham Norton, Burnham Sutton & Ulph, Burnham Overy, Burnham Thorpe, Broomsthorpe, North Creake, South Creake, Houghton, East Rudham, West Rudham, Stanhoe, Syderstone & Waterden. Western Division:Anmer, Bircham Newton, Bircham Tofts, Bircham Magna, Chosely, Dersingham, Docking, Fring, Heacham, Holme next-the-Sea, Hunstanton, Ingoldisthorpe, Great Ringstead, Sedgeford, Shernbourne, Snettisham, Thornham & Titchwell. The Union Workhouse was erected in 1836, at a cost of about £9,000 : it is an extensive brick building, situated about a mile west from the church, and will hold 250 inmates.
Board day every alternate wednesday at 11 a.m. at the Workhouse
Clerk to the Guardians, Merrick Bircham Bircham, Choseley
Relieving OfficersEastern District, William Smith, Burnham Market; Western District, Richard Wright, Snettisham.
Vaccination Officers, the Registrars of Births & Deaths
Medical Officers & Public Vaccinators, A. Dennis, Burnham Westgate, Burnham district; A. R. Manby, East Rudham, Rudham district; H. F. Prince L.R.C.P. Snettisham, Snettisham district.
Superintendent Registrar, Samuel Sharpie, Brancaster
Registrars of Births & Deaths, William Smith, Burnham Market, No.1, Burnham sub-district; Richard Wright, Snettisham, No. 2, Snettisham sub-district; John Isaacs Livock, Docking, No.3, Docking sub-district
Registrar of marriages, John Isaacs Livock, Docking; deputy, Charles Goodwin, Docking
Workhouse, Walter Chinery, master; Rev. Hugh James Hare M.A. chaplain; George Parry, medical officer; Mrs. Eleanor Mary Chinery, matron; Miss Annie Rush, schoolmistress
RURAL SANITARY AUTHORITY.
Clerk, Merrick Bircham Bircham, Choseley
Medical Officer of Health, Charles R. Whitty B.A., M.D. Hunstanton St. Edmunds
Inspector of Nuisances, John Walker, Burnham Market
National School (boys, girls & infants) was erected in the year 1760 for boys & girls, & has since been enlarged for 220; average attendance 130; a sunday school is held in the above school-room. William Crookham, master; Miss May Hickleton, mistress, Miss Mary Fowler, infants' mistress
Railway Station, Robert Durrant, station master
FAKENHAMHenry Benn. thurs.
LYNNHenry Howard, from Burnham Market, passes through mon. & thurs. returning tues. & fri;
Hy. Benn, tues
1891 Census Names Index
Local Area List [Michael Bird]
Docking Village Pages [Local web-site]
Docking (early) postmill, Mill Lane postmill (early), Mill Lane postmill (later), Station Road postmill and Temple Wood postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Docking archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Docking [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page