1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Drayton postmill and smockmill [both Jonathan Neville]
Drayton archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local web-site
More on Drayton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Drayton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.304.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

DRAYTON is a compact and pleasant village and station on the Eastern and Midlands line of railway, in the vale of the river Wensum, about 5 miles north-west from Norwich station on the Great Eastern line, 117½ from London, in the Southern division of the county, Taverham hundred, union of St. Faith, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Taverham and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich, on the road from Norwich to Fakenham. The church of St. Margaret is a flint building in the Transition Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, square modern tower, and a porch on the south side: the nave was restored and the chancel rebuilt in 1866 and subsequently ornamented, an east window, representing the Ascension, being presented in 1872 by a friend. The registers date from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, consolidated with Hellesdon, joint yearly rent-charge £700, with 52 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and held since 1855 by the Rev. Hinds Howell M.A. of Merton College, Oxford, proctor for the archdeaconries of Norwich and Norfolk, rural dean of Taverham and honorary canon of Norwich. The Baptists and Primitive Methodists have chapels here. There are 50 acres of land belonging to the poor, and 3 acres, the rent of which is received by the churchwardens and spent for the repair oft he church. Here is a field, called Bloodsdale, and here are the remains, restored in 1879, by the rector, of an ancient cross where tradition says a great battle was fought. Old Drayton Lodge is the ruin of a hunting lodge belonging to R. Fitch esq. situated on an acclivity half a mile south-west of the church, near the residence of Frederick A. Magnay esq. The Bishop of Norwich and F. Micklethwaite esq. are lords of the manor. Mrs. Bradshaw, J. J. Winter, F. A. Magnay and Samuel Bunn esqs. are the principal landowners. The soil is sandy; subsoil, chalk and gravel. The chief cops are what, oats, barley and turnips. The area is 1,322 acres. rateable value, £2,019; and the population in 1881 was 408;

POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE & Post Office Savings Bank.---Mrs. Charlotte Grief, receiver. Letters arrive from Norwich by the Reepham mail cart at 4.45 a.m. & by walking post at 3.45 p.m. & dispatched at 11 a.m. & 3.45 p.m. Norwich is the nearest telegraph office.

Collector of Assessed Taxes, S. Bunn

A school for girls & boys, erected in 1859, is conducted on the National system; Miss Clara Thompson, mistress

Railway station, Eastern Midlands, Alfred James, station master

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 2005; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Drayton postmill and smockmill [both Jonathan Neville]
Drayton archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local web-site
More on Drayton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page