DOUGHTON-cum-DOUGHTON is a parish and very small village 3 miles west from Fakenham station, in the Western division of the county, Gallow hundred, Walsingham union and county court district, rural deanery of Burnham, Norfolk archdeaconry and Norwich diocese, situated on the river Wensum, over which there is a bridge of one arch. The church of St. Peter is a cut flint Gothic building, and consists of chancel, nave and square tower: there are several stained windows, two of which are memorial. The register dates from the year 1784. The living is a consolidated vicarage, yearly value £175, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor and held since 1855 by the Rev. Edward William Dowell B.A. of Jesus College, Cambridge. The Earl of Leicester is the sole landowner and lord of the manor. The soil is a light loam; hsubsoil, clay and brick earth. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area is 1,731 acres; rateable value, £1,948; the population in 1881 was 167.
Letters received through Fakenham, which is the nearest money order office.
A School Board of 7 members was formed in 1873, named the Dunton-cum-Doughton United District School Board, which comprises the parishes of Dunton-cum-Doughton, Toft Trees and Shereford, & a school has been built at the latter place; W. M. Rumbelow, Fakenham. clerk to the Board.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Will of Samuel Barber, 1792 [Linda Steward]
Dunton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Dunton-cum-Doughton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page