Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Earsham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Earsham postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Earsham Watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Bungay watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Earsham [GENUKI-NFK]

Norfolk - Earsham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 305-306.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling]

EARSHAM is a scattered village and parish, and station on the Waveney Valley branch of th Great easten railway, one mile west from Bungay and 112 from London ny rail, in the Southern section of the county, Earsham hundred, Depwade union, Harleston county court district rural deanery of Redenhall, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich: it is separated from Suffolk by the river Waveney. The church of All Saints is an old rubble buildng, in the Prpendicular style, having chancel, nave and square tower ocntaining 3 bwells; the windows contain some beautiful specimens of stained glass, the gift of the late K. Wimdham esq.; a stained cjamncel window has ben erected by the rev. W. P. Goode, late imncumbent, who also greal improved amd beautified the church, and plaed tnted glass in all the windows, and presented an organ: in the nave is a stained window, placed b Mrs, Alle, late of Earsham Loge, to the memory of Sir William Dalling and daughter. The register dates frm the year 1559. The living is a rectory, wih a tithe rent-charge of 503, and 35 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Cap. J. Meade, and held since 1883 by the Rev. Jams Leslie Poe M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin. The fuel allotment consists of 3 acres and lets for 11, which is distributed in coal. The rent (8) of the town estate of 8 acres is distributed in clothing, and $40 from charities is distributed. These charities are now under revision by the Charity Commissioners and a new scheme will shortly be made. Earsham Hall is the property of th etrstees of the late Sir Wyndham Dalling bart. and is a fine red brick building but much u=out of repai, not having been occupied for nearly 20 years: it is pleasantly situated om a fine park of over 100 acres in estent. the Duke of Norfolk, who is lordof the man or, is the chief landowner. The soil is loam; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are beans, wheat and barley. The area is 3,453 acres' rateable value. 5,070; and the population in 1881 was 642.


POST OFFICE.— Henry Daniels, postmaster. Letter receved through Bungay, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office,; arrive at 7.30 a.m. dispatched at 5.30 p.m.; no delivery on sunday

I AGENT. —County Fire, George Bedwell

A National school was erected in 1876 to hold 120 children, chiefly with the gift of 500 from Mrs. Dalling, Miss Harriet Louisa Hall, mistress

Railway Station, Francis Cornelius Foulger, station master

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, December 2010, with minor correction June 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Earsham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Earsham postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Earsham Watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Bungay watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Earsham [GENUKI-NFK]