Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Earsham hundred
Depwade union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Earsham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Earsham postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Earsham Watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Bungay watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Earsham [GENUKI-NFK]

Norfolk - Earsham

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, p. 379

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, November 2002.]

EARSHAM is a large village, which gives name to the hundred, 1 mile W. of Bungay, and has in its parish 158 houses, 745 souls, and 2,718 acres of land. The Duke of Norfolk owns the park farm, 600a. and is lord of the manor of Earsham. Sir Wm. W. Dalling, Bart., is lord of the manor of Dobels-in-Earsham, and owns an estate here, together with Earsham House, a large mansion, in a pleasant park, built in 1700, by John Buxton, Esq. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has a square tower, and the south windows are decorated with stained glass. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £15, is in the patronage of Sir W. W. Dalling, and incumbency of the Rev. W. G. Cautley, M.A. There are 35a. 1r. 25p. of glebe, and the tithes are commuted for £486. The town estate consists of 13a. 3r. 24p., let for £23, which is applied with the church rates ; and 8a. 2r. 1p., let for £11 5s. a year, which is divided among the poor, with a yearly rent-charge of £21, left by Wm. Wyndham, Esq., in 1789, and another of £4 left by Thos. Bransby, in 1730. The Fuel allotment, 5a. is let for £11, and expended in coals.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, November 2002; links updated November 2009.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Earsham hundred
Depwade union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Earsham postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Earsham Watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Bungay watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Earsham [GENUKI-NFK]