1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Barsham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on East Barsham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
And see North and West Barsham
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - East Barsham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.240.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

EAST BARSHAM is a parish about 5½ miles north from Fakenham, situated on the south-west bank of the river Stiffkey, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Gallow, Walsingham union and county court district, rural deanery of Burnham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a small Gothic flint building, consisting of chancel and nave; it formerly had a tower, the base of which now forms the porch: it contains a handsome monument to one of the Calthorpes. The register dates from the year 1549. The living is a vicarage, with the rectory of Little Snoring annexed, joint yearly value £797 and 6 acres of glebe land here and 60 at Snoring, with residence, in the gift of Lord Hastings and held since 1882 by the Rev. William Martin B.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. The poor have two cottages, left by the Calthorpe family in 1636. The Hall. occupied by Mr. Henry Green, farmer, is a beautiful specimen of ancient brickwork, in the Tudor style, erected in the latter part of the reign of Henry VII. and was the seat of the Calthorpes: the towers and turrets are in a fine state of preservation. Lord Hastings is lord of the manor and the principal landowner; the Rev G. F. Hill, of Acle, has a few cottages and some land. The soil is various; subsoil, chalk and gravel. The cops are wheat, barley, roots and grass. The area is 1,167 acres; rateable value, £1,870; the population in 1881 was 180.

Letters through Fakenham. The nearest money order office is at New Walsingham [Railway Sub-Office]

A School Board of 7 members was formed in 1873 for the United District of East, North & West Barshams and Houghton-in-the-Hole; R. Cowburn, Walsingham, clerk to the Board
Board School, erected in 1876, for 100 children; average attendance 70; Joseph Nicholson, master

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, March 2005; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Barsham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on East Barsham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
And see North and West Barsham
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page