[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001]
BILNEY (EAST), 5 miles N.W. by N. of East Dereham, is a straggling village and parish, with 41 houses, 187 souls, and 532a. 3r. 11p. of land, mostly the property of Jno. Collison, and Wm. Pearce, Esqrs. The Church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a rectory, valued in the King's book at £5 14s. 2d., augmented with £200 Queen Anne's Bounty, and a like sum raised by subscriptions. J. Collison, Esq., of Bilney Hall, is patron, and the Rev. H. Collison, M.A., incumbent, who has a handsome rectory house, built in 1840. The tithes are commuted for £112. The Rev. Thos. Bilney, a learned divine, burnt at Norwich, in 1531, and the Rev. A. Perne, D.D., Dean of Ely, and Vice-Chancellor of Cambridge, were both natives of this parish. Almshouses for three aged couples were erected in 1838, by Rebecca Pearce, and endowed by Wm. Pearce, Esq., with a yearly rent charge of £60 out of an estate in Middlesex. The Town Land, 5a. 5p., is let for £5 15s., and applied with the poor rates. The Fuel Allotment is 6a. Post Office at Geo. Baker's ; letters arrive at 10 a.m., and are despatched at 3 p.m.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001; links updated June 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Mitford & Launditch union
Beetley (& Bilney) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on East Bilney [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page