1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Harling Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
East Harling postmill, postmill (early), smockmill, steam mill, tower mill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
East Harling Church [Local web-site]
More on East Harling [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
And see West Harling
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - East Harling

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 335-6.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

EAST HARLING (or MARKET HARLING) is a small market town, parish, polling place for the Southern division of the country, with station called Harling road, on the Great Eastern railway, 1¼ miles northwest from the village, 9 miles north-east from Thetford and 104½ from London, situated on an acclivity above the Thet river, in Guiltcross hundred and union, Attleborough county court district, rural deanery of Rockland, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of SS. Peter and Paul is situated on a slight elevation, close to the high road, at the west entrance to the town: it consists of chancel, nave and aisles: The "Harling chapel," at the east end of the south aisle, is a fine Gothic building, and in the church are 18 windows of corresponding style: the tower is lofty, surmounted by 12 small pinnacles and an elegant spire: in the Harling chapel are effigies of Sir Robert Harling and his lady, enclosed by an iron railing: in the chancel is a Purbeck slab, under canopy, to Sir William Chamberlain K.G. commander in France, ob. 1462, and Ann his wife, but the effigies, which were of brass, have long been missing: there are other monuments: there is a fine toned organ, and a gallery erected for the choir: the church was restored in 1878-79 and seated with open benches. The register dates from the year 1544. The living is a rectory, yearly tithe rent-charge £591 with 68 acres of glebe with residence in the gift of Mrs.Wilkinson and held since 1829 by her husband, the Rev. Thomas Boston Wilkinson, M.A. (1824) of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge. The Society of Friends have a meeting house, and at the rear is a burial ground; there is also a Primitive Methodist chapel. The town lands, of 96 acres, produce £80 yearly, which is distributed as follows—one third to the church, one third towards the support of the public school, and the remainder to an Improvement fund; also under an order of the Enclosure Commission, £45 the rent of 56 acres of fenland, is laid out in fuel for the poor. There is a flour mill, worked by the river Thet. A short distance north of the town is a limekiln. A corn market is held here every Tuesday. The fairs are held May 4th: the cattle and sheep fair the first Tuesday after September 12th and October 24th; the lamb fair 6th July. Sir Robert Jacob Buxton bart, M.P., D.L. is lord of the manor The Earl of Albermarle, Thomas Thornhill esq. J.P. and Cecil T. Molyneaux-Montgomerie esq. are the chief landowners. The soil is light loam; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips; rateable value £4,134; and the population in 1881 was 1,062.

_____

POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE & Savings Bank.— George Barnard, postmaster. Letters by mail cart from Thetford arrive at 4.25 a.m.; dispatched at 8 p.m.

GUILTCROSS & SHROPHAM PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION

Clerk to the Magistrates, Arthur Tallent Clowes, New Buckenham Petty Sessions are held at the Police station, East Harling, every second Monday at 11 The following places are included in the Petty Sessional Division:— Attleborough, Banham, Besthorpe, Blo' Norton, Brettenham, Bridgham, Buckenham (New), Buckenham (Old), Eccles, Garboldisham, Gasthorpe, Great Ellingham, Hargham, Harling (East), Harling (West), Hockham, Illington, Kenninghall, Kilverstone, Larling, Lopham (North), Lopham (South), Quidenham, Riddlesworth, Rockland (All Saints & St. Andrew's), Roudham, Rushford, Shropham, Snorehill [Snarehill] (Great & Little), Snetterton, Wilby, Wretham (East) & Wretham (West)

INSURANCE AGENTS:—

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS:—

PUBLIC OFFICERS:—

There is a public school, which will hold 250 children of both sexes, average attendance 100, who have the use of an extensive library of books; William Charles England, master

Railway Station, Richd. Alban Wm. Sayer, station master

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, January 1999; links updated November 2010.


1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Harling Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
East Harling postmill, postmill (early), smockmill, steam mill, tower mill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
East Harling Church [Local web-site]
More on East Harling [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
And see West Harling
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page