1891 Census Names Index for East Lexham
White's 1854
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
East Lexham postmill and Plantation postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Ancient of Days (Introduction to the ancient churches of East Lexham, Great Dunham, Houghton on the Hill and Newton By Castle Acre) [Simon Knott]
Lexham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on East Lexham [GENUKI-NFK]
and see West Lexham
Paddy's Home Page
Village Index

Norfolk - East Lexham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.368.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

EAST LEXHAM is a village and parish 3 miles north from Dunham station, in the Western division of the county, Mitford & Launditch union, Launditch hundred, Swaffham county court district, rural deanery of Brisley and archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew is a small edifice, comprising a chancel (in which there are many monuments to the Keppel family), nave and a round ivy-mantled tower. The register dates from the year 1546. The living is a discharged rectory, consolidated with that of Litcham, yearly value £214, and held by the Rev. George William Winter M.A., of University College, Oxford, and the Rev. William J. B. Hancock TA.K.C.L. is the curate, who both reside at Litcham. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship here. The poor's allotmentp 27 acres, let at £27 yearly, is for fuel, and Allen's Charity of 32s. yearly for bread. Lexham Hall, the seat of the Rev, W. A. W. Keppel B.A., J.P. who is lord of the manor and principal landowner, is a well-built house, with extensive gardens and prettily situated in a well-wooded park of 110 acres through which the river Nar flows. The soil is light loam, and the subsoil gravel and chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley, and turnips. The area is 1,190 acres; rateable value £1,400; the population in 1881 was 191.


WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 5.35 p.m.; no collection on sunday

Letters through Swaffham viā Litcham. The the nearest money order and telegraph office is at Litcham

National School, Miss Mary Jane Hambley, mistress.

 
Keppel Rev. William Arnold Walpole B.A., J.P. Lexham hall
Keppel William Henry Augustus J.P. Lexham hall
Oldfield Mrs
Bailey Walter J. farmer
Conyard Benjamin Bush, Chequers
Clark Thomas, farmer
Middleton Joseph, farm steward to the Rev. W. A. W. Keppel B.A., J.P.
Oldfield John, shopkeeper

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, June 2010; links updated 17th December, 2011.

1891 Census Names Index for East Lexham
White's 1854
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
East Lexham postmill and Plantation postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Ancient of Days (Introduction to the ancient churches of East Lexham, Great Dunham, Houghton on the Hill and Newton By Castle Acre) [Simon Knott]
Lexham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on East Lexham [GENUKI-NFK]
and see West Lexham
Paddy's Home Page
Village Index