EAST RAYNHAM (or RAYNHAM ST. MARY) is a parish and pleasant village, 1½ miles from Raynham Park station on the Eastern and Midlands railway, and about 4 miles south from Fakenham, in the Western division of the county, Gallow hundred, Walsingham union and county court district, rural deanery of Toftrees, archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary has been entirely rebuilt, at an outlay of £5,000, and was opened for service om April 1868: it is a handsome structure, partly in the Early English and partly in the Decorated styles, with a facing of cut flint and dressings of freestone, and cosists of chancel, nave, aisles, with porches, and a square tower at the west end containing 3 bells: the nave,aisles and chancel, as well as the tower, are embattled, the latter surmounted by pinnacles: the church is seated throughout with open benches of carved oak: the expense was defrayed by the Marquess Townshend, with the exception that the chancel was rebuilt at the cost of the rector: the building is surrounded by iron fencing, the gift of the parishioners: in the tower is a stained window, presented by Sir Arthur Plare C.B., K.C.S.I.L there is a brass in the north aisle ro Master Thomas Godfrey, rector of the parish before the Reformation. The register dates from the year 1621. The living is a rectory, with that of West Raynham annexed, joint yearly value, with glebe, about £1,000, and residence, in the gift of the Marquess Townshend, and held since 1832 by the Rev. Richard Playre M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, J.P. Norfolk, who resides at West Raynham. There is a charity of £5 per annum, the gift of Lady Berkeley. Raynham Hall, the seat of the Marquess Townshend, is a handsome square building of brick and stone, standing on an eminence, commanding a delightful view of the undulating park and surrounding country: the park extends over about 500 acres: this mansion was built near the site of an ancient moated hall, about the year 1630 for Sir Roger Townshend bart. under the direction of Inigo Jones: it contains some very valuable paintings, among the number is the famous picture of Belisarius, by Salvatore Rosa, presented to the second Viscount by the Margrave of Brandenburgh. The Marquess Townshend is sole landowner and lord of the manor, The soil is of good quality. The land is cultivated on the usual four-course system. The cottages in the parish of Raynham are all in good condition, the late Marquess having from time to time expended many thousand pounds in their restoration. The parish contains 1,635 acres of land; rateab;e value, £2,552: and the population in 1881 was 145.
Letters through Swaffham. Fakenham is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
Girls attend the school at West Raynham; boys at Helhoughton
1891 Census Names Index
Raynham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
And see South Raynham and West Raynham
Local Web-Site [Lord Raynham]
More on East Raynham [GENUKI-NFK]
Additional info on East Raynham [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page