EAST SOMERTON is a parish 2 miles from Hemsby and Martham stations on the Eastern and Midlands railway, about 8½ miles north-by-west from Yarmouth, and near the North Sea, in the Northern division of the county, the incorporated hundreds and union of East and West Flegg, and Great Yarmouth county court district, rural deanery of Flegg and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church which was dedicated to St. Mary, has been for many years in ruins, and the only parts remaining are the tower and walls, which are covered with ivy, with a large tree growing in the midst; the inhabitants attend Winterton church. The register dates from the year 1717. The living is a chapelry, annexed to the rectory of Winterton. joint yearly tithe commutation £544 11s. 8d. with 30 acres of glebe, in the gift of and held since 1867 by the Rev. Wm. Green M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, who resides at Winterton. Burnley Hall (a mansion surrounded by beautiful gardens, plantatins and lawn) is the property of F. Charsley esq. who is the sole landowner; it is occupied by James A. Mottram, esq. The soil is light mixed; subsoil, sand, gravel and clay. The chief crops are the usual cereals and roots. The area is 798 acres; rateable value, £1,353, and the population in 1881 was 47.
Letters through Yarmouth. The nearest money order office is at Winterton & telegraph office at Martham
This place is included in the United School Board District of Winterton, formed in 1875
Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, February, 2009; links updated December 2009.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Somerton Archeology [Norolk Heritage Explorer]
More on East Somerton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information on Winterton with East Somerton [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
And see West Somerton
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page