EAST TUDDENHAM is a village and parish 6 miles east from East Dereham, in the Southern division of the county, Mitford hundred, Mitford union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a structure of flint with stone facings of mixed styles, the tower and porch being Norman, the nave and chancel Perpendicular: it consists of chancel, nave, tower and porch, and contains a beautiful window, representing various scenes in the Life of Our Lord, painted by the widow of a former vicar, the Very Rev. E. Melissa, dean of Hereford, who died in 1830; in the chancel is a mutilated effigy; a tesselated pavement was presented to the church in 1878 by the Rev. W. C. Ward, for many years curate of this parish: a memorial window to the Rev. T. L. Fellowes, late rector, is to be put in the chancel by subscription of the inhabitants of East Tuddenham and Honingham. The register dates form the year 1561. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Honingham, joint yearly value, tithe rent charge £655 with 102 acres of globe here and house, in the gift of Lady Bayning and held by the Rev. John Robert Feilden M.A. formerly student (fellow) of Christ Church, Oxford, who succeeded the late Rev. T. L. Fellowes in December 1881. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans. There are 16 acres of land, left in the sixteenth century by John Proo, the rent of which has accumulated, and four cottages have been built as free residences for indigent persons, and there is a fuel allotment of 25 acres, producing £48 yearly, for coals, and other charities of £5 10s. annually for bread and books: there are also four other cottages let to the poor. Lady Bayning is lady of the manor and chief landowner. The soil s of mixed nature; subsoil, clay and brick earth/ The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and hay. The area is 2,069 acres; rateable value, £3,280; the population in 1881 was 453.
Letters received through East Dereham. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Mattishall.
Here is a National school (mixed), built in the form of a cross, for the use of this & the adjoining parish
of Honingham, supported by Lady Bayning, the vicar, voluntary rate & school pence; William Wright, master;
& two assistant mistresses; Mrs. Wright, sewing mistress
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1836 and 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
East Tuddenham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on East Tuddenham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page