TUDDENHAM (EAST) is a pleasant village of detached houses, 6 miles E of East Dereham, and 9 miles W. of Norwich; comprising in its parish, 587 inhabitants, and 2,000 acres of land, forming the manors of Cockfields, Astleys, Berrys and Aphaws, of which LORD BANNING is lord; but S. and J.C. GOOCH, Esqrs. have estates here; and several residents occupy their own farms. The Church, dedicated to All Saints, stands half a mile from the village, and is a neat Gothic structure, with a beautiful stained glass window representing the Descent from the Cross, the Ascension, and several other devices, purchased by the widow of the late vicar, the Rev. Edward Mellish, Dean of Hereford, who died in 1830, and was buried in the chancel, where there are several ancient and modern monuments, and a mutilated effigy, supposed to represent Sir Edm. de Berry. The vicarage, valued in K.B at £7.6s., was augmented in 1723, with £200, given by F. Tilney, Esq., and £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty. The REV. WM. SMITH is the incumbent, and LORD BAYNING is the patron and impropriator. In 1722, Frederick Tilney left two houses for the residence of decayed housekeepers. The poor have 10s. a-year, left by the Rev. J. Revans, in 1727, and 30s., as the interest of several benefactions.
Transcription © Copyright Iris Coe of Mattishall, 1999; links updated February 2010.
Return to villages index
1891 Census Names Index
Mitford & Launditch union
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
East Tuddenham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on East Tuddenham [GENUKI-NFK]
Paddy's Home Page