1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Will of John HUDSON, 1839
East Walton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on East Walton [GENUKI-NFK]
and see West Walton
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - East Walton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.544.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

EAST WALTON is a parish and village 7 miles north-east from Swaffham. 9 east from Lynn and 2 from Narborough station, in the Western division of the county, Freebridge Lynn hundred and union, Lynn county court district, rural deanery of Lynn and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is an ancient stone building, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel and nave, with a round castellated Norman tower containing 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a vicarage, with the rectory of Gayton Thorpe annexed, joint yearly value 490, with residence, in the gift of Anthony Hamond esq. and held since 1883 by the Rev. Molyneux Sheffield Crampton Fitzhardinge Hardinge B.A. of New College, Oxford. St. Andrew's chapel is in ruins. There are charities of the yearly value of 20. Anthony Hamond esq. is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is very light sand. The chief crops are wheat, barly and turnips. The area os 2,643 acres; rateable value, 2,005; the population in 1881 was 183.



Letters through Lynn. Gayton is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

National school for the parishes of Gayton Thorpe & East Walton is partly supportd by Anthony Hamond esq.; Miss E, Chater, mistress

Transcription © Copyright E.C.("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; links last updated April 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [all GENUKI-NFK]
Will of John HUDSON, 1839
East Walton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on East Walton [GENUKI-NFK]
and see West Walton
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page