1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Archeology of East Winch [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on East Winch [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - East Winch

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.558.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

EAST WINCH is a village and parish and station on the Lynn and Dereham Branch railway, 5½ miles south-east-by-east from Lynn, in the Western division of the county, hundred and union of Freebridge Lynn, Lynn county court district, rural deanery of Lynn and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich, situated on the Swaffham road. The church of All Saints is a fine lofty and ancient structure of carr stone and flint with stone dressings, in the Perpendcular style, situated on high ground, having chancel, nave, aisles and a square embattled tower with pinnacles, containing 1 bell; it was re-roofed and thoroughly restored in 1875, and an organ chamber built at the south-east angle of the south aisle and chancel, upon the site of an ancient mortuary chapel of the Howards (Dukes of Norfolk), who formerly held an estate here, and had a mansion, the moated foundations of which are still discernible to the east of the lane leading from the main road past the church to Wormegay: a brass tablet is inserted in the east wall of the organ chamber, recording the burial (1309) of Sir William Howard, Chief Justice of the Common Pleas (the first titled person and founder of the noble family of the Dukes of Norfolk), and of ten other members of the Howard family, to the year 1400: in 1876 a handsome oak pulpit was placed as a memorial by representatives of the late Mr. Jacob Curl and in 1877 a stained glass window was inserted at the east end of the chancel, in memory of the late Edmund Kent esq.: there are tablets in the church to members of the Kent, Curl and Forster families: also two ancient and interesting ones of the Barnes, particularly that in the organ chamber of William Barnes, of whom the quaint inscription relates that he "did, for many years, serve his king and country with great prudence and fidelity, in ye office of Justice of ye Peace, till at length, such was the iniquity of ye times that loyalty was esteemed a crime, when noe allurements or threats from him who usurped ye highest power could seduce him from his constant adhearance to his abandoned Prince and the persecuted Church of England. He retired to a private life, devoting himself wholly to the service of God and religion, and peaceably departed hence in 1657, in the 77th year of his age, expecting a joyful resurrection." In October, 1882, stained glass window was placed in the north aisle by Mr. John Smallbone, in memory of his wife. The register dates from the year 1678. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £183, with residence and 24 acres of glebe, in the gift of E. Kent esq. and held since 1872 by the Rev. Edward John Alvis M.A. of Christ's College, Cambridge. The charities derived from the church and town lands amount to £55 yearly, which sum is divided equally, part being taken to pay off the interest and principal of a loan for restoration of the church, and the other expended in gifts of coal among the poor, Edmund Kent esq. lord of the manor, is one of the principal landowners, the others being Morse's trustees, Mrs. Barnard, Misses Beckington and the trustees of the late R. Curl. The soil is varied; subsoil carr stone and clay. The principal crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 2,530 acres; rateable value, £3,339; and the population in 1881 was 404. The common contains 80 acres.

POST, MONEY & TELEGRAPH OFFICE, & Savings Bank.—Henry Marsh, receiver. Letters arrive from Lynn at 7.18 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m.; sundays at 8.30 a.m. & 11.5 p.m. [sic a.m. surely]

The National School for boys and girls is supported by a voluntary rate; Miss Susan Atcheson, mistress

Railway Station, John Smallbone, station master

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, February 2005; links last updated April 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Archeology of East Winch [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on East Winch [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page