EAST WRETHAM is a parish with a station, near the church, on the Thetford and Watton railway, in the Southern division of the county, Thetford union and county court district, Shropham hundred, rural deanery of Rockland, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich, and comprises the hamlet of STONE BRIDGE, a mile east of the church, situated 6 miles north-east from Thetford. The church of St. Ethelbert was entirely rebuilt in the year 1865; it is a flint building in the Norman and Decorated styles, and consists of chancel, nave, aisle, porch and tower. The register dates from the year 1748. The living, consisting of the consolidated rectories of East and West Wretham, is of the yearly value of £547 with residence, in the gift of William Morris esq and held since 1850 by the Rev. James Park Whalley M.A. of University College, Oxford. William Morris esq. J.P. is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is sandy; subsoil, chalky. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area of East and West Wretham is 6,442 acres; rateable value of East Wretham, £1,701; and the population in 1881 was 173.
POST & TELEGRAPH OFFICE.Robert Adams, receiver. Letters arrive through Thetford at 7.40 a.m.; dispatched at 5.45 p.m. Wall Letter Box cleared at 5 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Hockham.
School, built in 1865, for 65 children; average attendance, 48; Mrs. Lavinia Bennett, mistress
Railway Station, Thomas Bedford, station master
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 1999; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; 1854; and 1883 for East & West Wretham
Kelly's 1896 [GENUKI-NFK]
East Wretham postmill, towermill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Wretham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
East Wretham Nature Reserve [Norfolk Wildlife Trust]
More on East Wretham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see West Wretham Kelly's 1883
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page