ECCLES is a parish situated on the north bank of the river Thet, half a mile south from the Eccles Road station of the Great eastern railway, 106 miles from London and 4 south from Attleborough, in the Southern division of the county, Guiltcross union, Shropham hundred, Attleborough county court district, rural deanery of Rockland, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is an ancient structure of flint and stucco, in the Early English style, having a chancel, nave with a round tower containing 3 bells; the stained east window is in memory of the rector. The register dates from the year 1613. The living is a rectory, yearly value £280, including 25 acres of glebe, in the gift of Hertford College, Oxford, and held since 1877 by the Rev. William Edward Deane M.A. of that College, who resides at Old Buckenham. The Hall, an ancient and commodious mansion, is now unoccupied; it is situated in a park of about 60 acres. The Earl of Albermarle and Sir Thomas Beevor bart. are chief landowners; the latter is lord of the manor. The soil is clayey loam; subsoil, clay and chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,685 acres; reateable value, £3,007; the population in 1881 was 208.
POST OFFICE. Henry George Rix, postmaster. Letters received from Attleborough by foot post at 7.30 a.m. & dispatched at 7.10 p.m. East Harling is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
Here is a school, built & endowed by the late Sir T. B. Beevor, for the parishes of Eccles, Wilby and Hargham, & further supported by subscription; Mrs. Emma Page, mistress.
Railway Station, Henry William Jackson, station master
Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2000; links updated February 2010.
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
1891 Census Names Index
More on Eccles [GENUKI-NFK]
Archeology of Quidenham (& Eccles) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page