ECCLES a small village and parish, 2½ miles N.E. of East Harling, contains 39 houses, 185 souls, and 1,630 acres of land, the property of the Earl of Albermarle, and Sir Thos. B. Beevor, Bart. The latter is lord of the manor and owner of the Old Hall, which is now unoccupied. The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Mary, has a round tower and three bells, and is a rectory valued in the King's book at £14, in the gift of the Rev. John Surtees, and enjoyed by the Rev. Richd. Lubbock, M.A. The tithes are commuted for £250, and there are 26a. of glebe. The bishops of the diocese had a seat here till the time of Henry VIII. Most of the waste lands were planted some years ago, and a common was enclosed in 1812. The Norfolk Railway intersects the parish, and has a station about a mile north of Quiddenham.
Post Office at Wm. Elliott's: letters arrive at 8 a.m., and are despatched at 6.30 p.m.
Rev. Richd. Lubbock, M.A., rectory ;
Wm. Elliott, vict. Railway Inn, and coal and spirit mercht. ;
Richd. Bryant, corn and coal mercht.;
Robt. Rowe, station master;
Wm. Elliott, and
Jno. Wellingham, farmers.