ECCLES-BY-THE-SEA is a parish and village 19 miles from Yarmouth, 9 east from North Walsham and 2 north-east from Stalham (on the Eastern and Midlands railway) which is the nearest stastion, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of Happing, Smallburgh Union, North Walsham county court, rural deanery of Waxham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich; it is united for parochial purposes with Hempstead. The church, which was dedicaed to St. Mary, was destroyed by the sea befpre 1605. except the tower, which is srill standing, but encompasssed by the sands: in that year the inhabitants petitioned that their taxes might be moderated on account of this. The living is a sinecure rectory, yearly value £75. in the gift of the Rev. Henry Evans Lombe B.A., J.P. of Bylaugh Park, and held by the Rev. John Francis Osborne, who resides at Norwich. This was once a fishing town of some importance. The land came into possession of the Lombe family in 1668; the Rev. Henry Evans Lombe J.P. of Bylaugh park, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is good mixed; subsoilm sand, gravel and clay. The chief cros are wheat, oats and barley. The area is now 297 acres, having been reduced from 2,000 by the encroachments of the sea; the rateable value is given with Hempstead; and the population in 1881 was 18.
Letters through Norwich, Stalham is the nearest money order office.
The children attend the Board school at Lessingham
1891 Census Names Index for Hempstead with Eccles
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Lessingham (& Eccles by the Sea) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Eccles-by-the-Sea [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information about Hempstead with Eccles [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page