1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Edgefield Archeology [Norfolk Herityage Explorer]
Edgefield watermill, (early) postmill, (later) postmill and smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Edgefield [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Edgefield

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 305-306.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

EDGEFIELD is a parish 3 miles north-east from Melton Constable station and about 3 miles south from Holt station, and 12 south-south-west from Cromer in the Northern division of the county, Holt hundred and county court district, Erpingham union, rural deanery of Holt and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of SS. Peter and Paul has, with the exception of the tower and south porch, been pulled down and re-built in a central part of the parish: it is a large building, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north and south porches, the east end of the south aisle is separated by an old carved screen: towards defraying the expense £1,800 has been raised by private donations: a tower and vestries are eventually to be added. The register dates from the year 1653. The living is a rectory, yearly value £574 7s 9d. with residence and 17 A. of glebe, in the gift of the trustees of trustees of the late Col. Marcon and held since 1876 by the Rev. Walter Herbert Marcon M.A. of St. Alban Hall, Oxford. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here. There are charities, called the Poor's Fuel Allotment, of 5 acres of land, the rent of which is expended annually in coal; also £2, 10s. left by Simon Woodrow—10s. for beautifying the church, and £2 to be expended among five poor widows. Here also is a clothing club, children's penny bank, reading room, circulating parish library and children's periodicals. The trustees of the late Col. J. Marcon and George Edward Frere esq. Are lords of the manor of Edgefield with Ellingham and Edgefield Bacon. The principal landowners are trustees of the late Col. John Macon, . E. Frere esq. Constance Marchioness of Lothian and Mrs. Ballachey. The soil is light mixed; subsoil, gravel and sand. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 2,435 acres; rateable value, £3,112 5s. 3d.; and the population in 1881 was 479.

____

POST OFFICE.—Robert Walter Henry Hipper, receiver.
     Letters through Dereham by foot messenger from Briningham arrive about 9 a.m.
     WALL BOX, Ramsgate street, cleared at 3.30 p.m.; dispatched at 4 p.m. Week days only. The nearest money order office is at Melton Constable & telegraph office is at Holt.

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1874; Rev. W. H. Marcon, hon. clerk to the Board.

Board Schoool, opened in 1879, will hold 97 children, average attendance 74; Oliver Wood, master

CARRIERS TO NORWICH pass through, Tuesday & Friday

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 2005; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Edgefield Archeology [Norfolk Herityage Explorer]
Edgefield watermill, (early) postmill, (later) postmill and smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Edgefield [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page