EDINGTHORPE is a parish near the coast, the houses much scattered, 3 miles north-east from North Walsham and the navigable Ant and 17 from Norwich, in the Northern division of the county, Tunstead hundred, Smallburgh union, North Walsham county court district, rural deanery of Waxham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is of flint, and is small and very ancient; is constsists of chancel, nave, round tower containing 3 bells and south porch: the interior was restored and newly seated in 1857: there is an ancient carved screen, which separates the chancel from the nave. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, yearly value tithe rent charge £237, with 17 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Duchy of Lancaster and held since 1850 by the Rev.Joseph Lawson Sissons B.A. of Jesus College, Cambridge. John Mack esq. is lord of the manor. The Earl of Kimberley and Matthew Neave esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is fine mixed; subsoil. sand and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 710 acres; rateable value, £1,063 10s.; and the population in 1881 was 190.
A School Board for the united parishes of Edingthope and Paston, was formed in 1875; G. Hastings, Knapton, clerk.
Board School, Mrs. Ellen Blthe, mistress
Transcription © Copyright E.C.("Paddy") Apling, March, 2009; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Archeology of Bacton (& Edingthorpe) [Norfolk Heritage Archeology
More on Edingthorpe [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page