EGMERE is a parish consisting of one farm and a few cottages, 3 miles west from Walsingham, in the Northern division of the county, North Greenhoe hundred, Walsingham union, Little Walsingham county court district, rural deanery of Walsingham and archeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church has long been dilapidated, but is still an interesting ivy-clad ruin, its remains consisting of a tower with spiral staircase, and portions of the wall of the nave: it was first used as barn by Sir Nicholas Bacon, of Stiffkey, Lord Keeper of the Privy Seal to Queen Elizabeth: it is now enclosed and preserved. The living is a rectory, with that of Waterden annexed, joint yearly value £211, in the gift of the Earl of Leicester K.G. and held since 1847 by the Rev. Alexander Napier M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, who is also vicar and resides at Holkham. The Earl of Leicester is the sole landowner. The soil is a rich loam, and in a high state of cultivation, farmed by Mr. George Tingey. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and oats. The area is 1,237 acres; rateable value, £1,780; and the population in 1881 was 97.Letters through New Walsingham (Railway Sub Office), the nearest money & telegraph office.
Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling, July 2000; links updated January 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854 Directory entry
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Walsingham Archeology (including Egmere) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Egmere [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page