EGMERE, 2½ miles W. of Walsingham, is a parish with only 9 houses, 54 souls, and 1,200 acres of land, mostly occupied by Mr. Robt. Overman, and the property of the Earl of Leicester, the lord of the manor, and patron of the rectory, valued in the King's book at £8, and consolidated with that of Waterden, in the incumbency of the Rev. Alex. Napier M.A. Only part of the tower of Egmere Church now remains, being first desecrated by Sir Nicholas Bacon, who turned it into a barn.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, June 2002; links updated January 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
North Greenhoe hundred
Kelly's 1883 Directory entry
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Walsingham Archeology (including Egmere) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Egmere [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page