[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]
ELLINGHAM is a village and parish with station on the Waveney Valley railway, 2½ miles north-east from Bungay, 4 south from Loddon and 117 from London by rail, in the Southern division of the county, Clavering hundred, Loddon and Clavering union, Bungay and Beccles county court district, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The parish is separated from Suffolk by the river Waveney. The church of St. Mary is a flint and rubble building of the twelfth century, and consists of of chancel, nave, south aisle and square tower with 5 bells: there is a piscina in the chancel; on the west side is a good painting, representing the Angel Liberating St. Peter, and a stained memorial window on the chancel south wall to Mrs. Kingsbury, and another in the nave to the memory of the wife of Henry Smith esq.: the east window is stained, the gift of the late rector: the interior was thoroughly repaired in 1868: on the north wall of the nave is a figure of the head of a bishop, also a pastoral staff but much mutilated. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a rectory, yearly value £400 net, arising from 72 acres of glebe, and the tithes, commuted at £339, in the gift of the trustees and held since 1882 by the Rev. William Day French M.A. of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The poor have the residue of about £83 yearly, arising from the town and other portions of land, after the expenses of keeping the church in repair have been deducted (according to the will of the donors), which is distributed yearly in coals and money. The Hall, a modern mansion situated in the midst of a picturesque park, is the seat of Henry Smith esq. J.P. who is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is mixed clay and sand: subsoil, clay, gravel and sand. The chief crops are barley, wheat, trunips and hay. The area is 1,379 acres; rateable value, £2,344; the population in 1881 was 340.
POST OFFICE.George Chipperfield, receiver. Letters arrive by foot post from Bungay about 7.40 a.m. & dispatched at 4.30 p.m. Bungay is the nearest money order & telegraph office. Thre is no delivery or dispatch of letters on sundays
National School (erected in 1865); Miss Anne Elizabeth Cotton, mistress
Railway Station, Charles Hubbard, station master.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Ellingham smockmill, postmill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Ellingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Ellingham [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]