ELLINGHAM (GREAT) is a village and parish of scattered houses, 2 miles N.W. of Attleborough, comprising, 794 souls, 213 houses, and 2,530 acres of land, which chiefly belongs to Lord Walsingham, Thos. L. Taylor, Esq., Messrs. Barnards, and Hy. Norton ; the former is lord of the largest manor called Bury Hall, and the rest of the parish is in the manors of the Rectory and Ellingham Hall ; the latter is an ancient moated residence now occupied by Mr. Benj. Barnard. The CHURCH, dedicated to St. James the Apostle, is a large edifice with a square tower, a spire, and five bells. The vicarage, valued in the King's book at £5 10s., has been augmented with £200 Queen Anne's bounty, and £200, the gift of the Rev. J. Cator [sic. = Carter ?]. It is consolidated with the rectory of Little Ellingham, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. S. Colby. The vicar of Carbrook[sic] has the great tithe of 200a. and the rest belong to Thos. L. Taylor, Esq. The Baptists and Wesleyans have each a chapel here, and the former is endowed with £30 per annum. The Fuel Allotment, 54a. 1r. 32p., awarded in 1799, is let for about £100 a year.
Post Office at Mr. Chas. Hannent's : letters arrive at 7 a.m., and depart at 7 p.m.